Gummies are delicious and inviting, especially for children who love their unique shapes. They can generally be bought at the supermarket or the pharmacy if you are specifically looking for gummies with vitamins or supplements.
But here’s the twist: have you ever thought of preparing them yourself? Let’s see how to do it since preparing jellies at home is very simple and a lot of fun.
You will need to get a saucepan and pour the water into it: turn on the flame, let it cook at relatively low fire, and then pour in a few tablespoons of sugar, starch flour, and food gelatin powder, choosing the color you prefer for your bears.
Now you will have to mix with a spoon rather vigorously until you have obtained a nice gelatinous mixture. Pour your mixture into a jug and let it cool for a while. Now get yourself a mold with your bears and simply pour your gelatinous mixture into the molds.
Once all the molds have been filled, you will have to leave them in the refrigerator for about an hour. At that point, your bears will be well solidified and ready to be detached from the container.
Detach them one by one, arrange them in a small bowl and serve them. Of course, you can create your own bears in many different colors for greater variety and an even more fun visual effect!
Let’s take a look at three gummies recipes that you won’t live without, starting today!
- 4g of agar-agar powder,
- 20g of honey,
- 250ml of juice or fruit extract,
- brown sugar (optional) seaweed
- natural gelling agent
1. In a saucepan, add the juice or fruit extract, honey, and agar. Mix well and put on the stove.
2. Slowly melt over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes. Turn over and wait for it to cool down to room temperature first.
3. Then pour into teddy bear-shaped molds, and refrigerate 12 hours before getting them out. As soon as they are done, if you want to make a small variation, you can also pass them in sugar before consuming them. Start eating, or keep them in the fridge for a few days.
Here’s another recipe
- Eight tablespoons of powdered agar-agar (to replace the classic food gelatin)
- Four glasses of fruit juice (choose your favorite flavor)
- Molds. In specialized shops, you can also find those for gummy bears!
Pour the fruit juice into a saucepan and dissolve the agar in the fruit juice. Put the mixture on medium heat and bring slowly to a boil. As soon as it boils, lower the heat and stir continuously for 5 minutes, then pour the mixture into the molds and let it cool for at least a couple of hours.
We have one more recipe for you
- Flavored gelatin
Homemade Vitamin Gummies
Once you’ve created your gummies with your favorite recipe, there won’t be anything stopping you: you’ll be able to turn whichever vitamin into a yummy candy!
Look at these examples:
- You can decide to add vitamin C powder and lemon juice: you’ll have a sour candy packed with unique properties.
You can alternatively add probiotics and a fresh juice base to obtain a delicious candy that will help your body in many significant ways. (add probiotics after heating!)
- Use homemade elderberry syrup as a base to make flu-busting chewy vitamins that will help you feel better when you are coming down with a cold.
- Add magnesium supplements for a chewable help against stress, tiredness, and much more.
If you are still unsure about which vitamin to use in your candies, remember that vitamin D is extremely important for pregnancies.
“The results of this study suggest that vitamin D supplementation before conception or early in pregnancy, rather than during pregnancy, may be necessary to significantly impact immune-mediator response.” (Aastha Khatiwada, 2020)
Another valid choice is melatonin, especially in the presence of neurodevelopmental disorders. “Supplemental melatonin is one of the most commonly recommended biomedical agents for difficulty falling asleep or maintaining sleep in children with neurodevelopmental disorders.” (Roberta M. Leu, 2018)